Popular Posts

Thursday, April 7, 2016

UNC 'by 10 points' Ruined by a Buzzer-Beater Shot


“Ten points on North Carolina,” he said, smiling during mid-afternoon, Monday, April 4, 2016.  

He stood beside a strengthen-your-back machine at the Gold’s Gym located seven minutes from my Southern Pines home. His large-wheeled walker (with 6-inch wheels) featuring a seat and a “ruby red finish” stood near the exercise machine. He moved his legs slowly, stiffly. His feet dragged. He appeared to be in his early 60s.

“What’d you say?” I asked, scooting off a nearby machine and moving three feet in order to stand beside the trim, graying African-American man who evidenced a serious physical handicap.  

“Ten points on North Carolina,” he repeated.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championship basketball game was slated for that evening in Houston, Texas: the University of North Carolina vs. Villanova University.  

“I’m rooting for UNC, too,” I said. “They may win by more than ten points.”

“Yep,” the man said. “They might.”

“UNC has some really good big men,” I noted.

I’d met this man before but forgotten his name.

“I’m Steve,” I said, reaching for his right hand.

“I’m William,” he said.

I don’t know if he remembered me. I felt bad for not recalling his name. “The road to hell is paved with good intentions,” someone said. Many times I’ve vowed to remember a person’s name (either a moniker or a surname) and within an hour or two forgotten. I felt glad that William reached out to me with his comment about UNC. In the Gold’s Gym I frequent, people often pass within a few feet of each other and seem to pretend that the humans they’re near are invisible.

“They’re there [in Gold’s Gym] on business,” a friend told me. “They don’t have time to talk to strangers. They’re trying to maintain their spaces. That’s just the way it is.”  

“How about just a nod of a head or a meeting of eyes,” I’d thought, remembering that now-overused summation: “Ain’t nobody got time for that.”  

“I’ll be watching the game, tonight, while you are,” I told William.

“I think they’ll win,” he said.

“It’s good to see you in here,” I said, glancing at his walker.

“I have a spinal-disconnect injury,” he said. “I need to exercise. I feel better when I do, and then I can go home and sleep.”

“Great to see you,” I said.

“Yep,” he replied, as he moved on to another machine.

That night, as I watched the game via TV, I remembered William’s words: “Ten points on North Carolina.”

The Tar Heels led by five points (39-34) at halftime but shot poorly during the second half.

UNC came back from 10 points down with five-and-a-half minutes left and from six points down with 1:52 to play. UNC’s Marcus Paige bucketed an outstanding 3-point shot from long distance to tie the game at 74-74. With 4.7 seconds left, Villanova’s Ryan Arcidiacono worked the ball upcourt and passed it off to teammate Kris Jenkins, who swished it from about two steps behind the 3-point line. Game over. The Villanova folk went wild.

I thought of William, probably sitting near his big-wheeled walker, watching the game end. I hoped he wasn’t too disappointed.

“Ten points on North Carolina,” he’d said, earlier that day.

2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

William sounds like a nice friendly man. We need more like him. I watched in horror as Villanova made that last shot. Dan and I just looked at each other in disbelief. My heart went out to Roy Williams and all the players. They deserved to win...and Marcus Paige, with that last shot...we were so excited and happy when he made the three point shot. Nothing to do but get over it and go on to bed. :( Enjoyed this post.

Larry Steve Crain said...

Thanks, Henny Penny. I was disappointed, for sure. I'm glad you were watching. I can picture y'all looking at each other in disbelief. I enjoy your photos and writing. You're diligent.