Popular Posts

Saturday, December 18, 2021

APPLAUSE IN CHURCH?

  Sources say applause began in 6th century BC when lawmaker Kleisthénes of Athens made it so that audiences would have to clap in approval of their leader, since there were too many people to meet individually. Through this came the “applause,” the unified voices of people in the form of clapping together in admiration.

“Miss Manners,” Judith Martin, said in 1994 that applause should not be given in church. 

“All this [applause] is because the only public event anybody recognizes anymore is entertainment,” Miss Manners said. “Having forgotten church manners, people are substituting those that would be proper for a performance. This drives Miss Manners wild. Hard as it may be to imagine, musicians in church are supposed to play or sing for the glory of God, not the pleasure of the congregation (whom people increasingly slip and call ‘the audience’).”

Robert Brown, a Facebook friend of mine, wrote recently, “As a child and much younger adult, I do not remember applause in church after someone sang or played an instrument. Has my memory changed or has applause become much more the norm?”

Here are some responses to his post:

One man said, “It [applause] is praising the servant instead of The Master. My God-fearing grandmother called it ‘Blasphemy.’”

A lady said, “It may be just our age, but I was taught that you do not applaud in church as it is a reverent place of worship.”

Another lady said, “There are times when applause is appropriate and times when it is not. If the applause is an outward sign that someone was touched by a performance, I have no problem with it.”

Martha wrote, “I wonder … has worship in music become a performance? Has applause become agreement that we want this [the performance] to be pleasing to God? Sometimes your heart is so full and happy, you can’t help but applaud.

“Applause is becoming the norm,” a lady said. “When I joined the worship team at my former church, I remember feeling very strange when hearing applause in the church. That feeling never fully went away.”

Kevin wrote, “Let the waves clap their hands … let the hills sing out in praise. … Applause is a 21st Century “Amen,” as long as the object of our worship (and applause) is the LORD!”  

“Applause is not appropriate in church,” Kathleen said. “I was taught quiet reverent respect in His house of quiet worship.”

Someone posted, “O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph” (Psalm 47:1).

Bonnie wrote, “No applause at our church during a service. And I like it that way. Applause is not reverent, in my opinion … just my opinion, mind you.”

Sally said, “I grew up with reverence in church, but as I get older, I like the freedom of praising God in raising my hands, applauding if warranted. When I think of what the Bible says of Heaven being a place of great praise, with every instrument used, some of us might be surprised how God interprets worship.”  

“I didn’t grow up with church applause, and hearing it now makes me think ‘performance,’ and I cringe a little, “Kathy said. “The next thing I expect to hear is ‘Let’s give it up for God,’ as if He’s a celebrity of sorts and being called to the stage. Let the clappers clap; only they and God know the heart of their applause. I’ll be saying my amens and smiling because that’s me.”

Rick wrote, “When worship became a production to satisfy the masses, it changed. Worship was supposed to be quiet reflection (dignified by cultural norms), not cause for joy and celebration.”

Folk once thought it irreverent to applaud after hymns were sung or played in church. Listeners may have said “amen” after a song but did not applaud.  

Applause is now accepted as an act of worship — like saying “amen” with one’s hands. Applause may indicate approval of a performance more than approval of a message, but that’s a complication we’ll have to live with. Applauding in church is here to stay. Should “the rocks” Jesus referred to have to “cry out”?


No comments: