Popular Posts

Thursday, February 23, 2023

LENT -- I WASN'T SURE ABOUT IT

   A few years ago at lunchtime on a Wednesday, I left the carpet mill I worked for and drove down a hill into downtown Aberdeen, NC. Walking into Page Memorial United Methodist Church’s fellowship building, I laid down $4 for a Wednesdays-during-Lent lunch, served with dessert and an inspirational message by a guest speaker.   

Dot, a friend from Aberdeen, was there, and I sat with her and three of her friends. As we ate good home-cooked food, Dot asked me, “What are you giving up for Lent?”

My thoughts went like this: “Uh-oh. We’re into the Lenten season and I haven’t given up one thing. Dot probably expects that I should give up something to attune my mind to the passion and suffering Jesus endured.”

“Lent” observes the 40 days Jesus fasted in the desert and was tempted by Satan before beginning public ministry. Lenten season begins on Ash Wednesday (Feb. 23 in 2023), when some folk get ashes dabbed on their foreheads. Those ashes are often from burned palm fronds waved during the previous year’s Palm Sunday services. Lent continues through Good Friday and Holy Saturday. Begun by the Catholic Church, Lent is now observed by various Christian churches and focuses on Christ’s passion, death, and resurrection. Many believers pray, fast, and give alms more during Lent and often “give up” things — everything from alcohol and smoking to nail-biting and overeating.

“It is a time set aside each year to remember the love of God poured out through Christ Jesus on the cross in his death; and his defeat of death, sin and Satan in Christ’s death and resurrection,” sources say.

“Dot goes to Aberdeen First Baptist,” I thought.  “Why is she concerned about giving something up for Lent? Has she ‘gone Catholic’ or something?
Protestants used to avoid observing Lent because it seemed so Catholic.”

“Uh, I haven’t given up anything, yet,” I said. “I’m thinking about chocolate.” 

I envisioned myself standing at our workplace vending machine, looking at a package of M&Ms and being unable to buy those treats because Dot had shamed me into giving up chocolate during Lent.

“What are some of y’all giving up?” I asked, getting the attention off of me. I remembered Andy Griffith’s keen insight: “Put ’em on the scent of other game.” 

“Soft drinks,” one lady said. 

Some people fast during Lent, giving up meals so their prayers will become more focused. When I hear the word “fasting,” I usually think about a certain mule. I was a grade-school boy in SC when my paternal grandfather owned a not-too-user-friendly mule. I recall one evening when my grandpa opened the creature’s stall door to “put him up” for the night. The beast put his front feet inside his stall and then let go with a powerful kick. I can still see those hind legs moving backward with the kind of snap-motion a batter uses when swinging to hit a baseball over an outfield fence.

“I got to cut down on his corn,” my grandfather said.

I understood that. I’d heard someone describe an energetic child by saying, “He’s feeling his oats.” My grandfather was saying the mule possessed excess energy. Taking away some of the critter’s fuel supply would make him a more docile, cooperative worker. Perhaps fasting can tame or harness the body, so the soul and spirit can be nourished.  

“One thing Americans don’t’ want to give up is their time,” I said. “We’ll give money but we won’t give time. We tend to buy things for our kids rather than spend time with them.” 

“Yeah, it’s hard to get people to volunteer,” one of Dot’s friends said. 

I’d broadened the conversation. No one now seemed to be thinking about stuff I should give up. We finished lunch and waited for the day’s speaker, the Rev. Thomas Simpson of Vass, NC. He brought a good message. I felt thankful he didn’t mention sacrificing something during Lent.  

“Maybe it’s sort of silly,” I thought. “When I miss eating chocolate, will I be reminded that Jesus suffered for me? Is laying down chocolate during Lent some kind of trivial American idea of religious sacrifice?” 

Later, while standing at our office vending machine, I told a coworker about my Lent dilemma. 

“I thought Jesus died so we wouldn’t have to give up stuff,” she said. “I’m really into that ‘grace’ thing.”

Maybe she had a point. But I kept thinking about my grandfather’s mule and wondering if maybe I should give up a little something during Lent.

No comments: