Popular Posts

Saturday, April 14, 2012

'I Need My Body'


A few years ago, I took a day off from the carpet manufacturing company where I work and sat in my easy chair with a small pillow behind my aching back. I kept thinking of things I could be doing if arthritis hadn’t acted up in my hips and lower back.

The day before, I had visited my doctor who confirmed with x-rays that I was almost in need of at least one hip replacement, and my lower spine had a touch of arthritic inflammation.

Anxious for the Lord to heal me and thinking of things I wanted to do for Christ, I thought, with some frustration, “Lord, I need my body to do your work.”

Pausing only briefly, I thought better and prayed silently, “Lord, I’ll try to be something for you and work for you no matter what shape my body is in.”

Alone, in the mid-day silence of my living room, I believe the Lord seemed to say to me, “I, too, need my Body to do my work. And I will work through it - no matter what shape it’s in.”

1 comment:

Chad K Miller said...

I was not expecting that ending, powerful and true!