Popular Posts

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Proud Accomplishment - Who Gets the Credit?



The accomplishment I am most proud of and thankful for is my “accepting Christ.”

Of course, some people say a person doesn’t “find” Christ – they say Christ finds that person. The recipient of salvation by faith in Christ may think he/she makes all decisions that culminate in his/her accepting Christ, but some people say many factors work to that end.

For one thing, no one “comes” to Christ unless God “moves” him.
Jesus said, “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him… ” (John 6:44 NASB).

Though I question what part I personally played in accepting Christ, I feel my conversion to Christ is my greatest accomplishment. If I had not accepted Jesus Christ when I was six years old, I’m not sure where I now would be – or if I would be living.

I seem to naturally and hereditarily drift into melancholy and self-doubt. Without Christ, would I have “given in” during my lifetime to a “what’s it all worth” feeling and “ended it all”?

My sometimes restless mind tries to trace feelings and actions to their roots. Faith in Christ helps me understand “fallen-nature reasons” for mankind’s record and my own history. The Word of God offers peace and helps me “discern,” or understand, the thoughts and intents of my own heart.

“For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12 NASB).

I believe Christ saved (and is saving) me from sin and its penalties. He empowers me to live an obedient and victorious life.

As a child, I heard the Word of God (the Bible), sensed my sinfulness and need of a savior and “believed on” Christ as that Savior. That has been my greatest accomplishment.

But sometimes I wonder this: Is that accomplishment really mine, or should I give God all the credit?

No comments: